Skip to main content
  • Home
  • High School Diploma FAQs

High School Diploma FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Who may attend the adult high school program?

  • Students 18 years of age or older are eligible to attend Martinez Adult Education's high school program.
  • Students who are 18 and have attended a comprehensive high school during the same academic year must officially sign out of their high school before they can enroll at MAE.
  • Emancipated minors may enroll if they have court papers showing proof of emancipation. In addition, minors who are parents of a child are eligible to enroll.
  • We do not accept students who have been expelled from another school unless all terms of the expulsion have been met.
  • In order to enroll in the high school program at MAE, students must also meet a minimum eligibility requirement in reading proficiency.

What are the requirements for graduation?

All students receiving a diploma of graduation from the high school program at MAE must complete the following courses:

U.S. Government 5 credits
Economics 5 credits
U.S. History 10 credits
World History 10 credits
English 40 credits
Math 10 credits
Algebra 10 credits
Life Science 10 credits
Physical Science 10 credits
Fine Arts / Foreign Language 10 credits
College & Career Transitions 10 credits
Electives 50 credits                                 

In addition to completing these requirements, every prospective graduate must obtain CPR certification. Please note:  The California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) has been suspended for 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Is there a cap and gown graduation ceremony?

Yes. Every year we hold a formal graduation ceremony. Anyone who has graduated within that academic year may participate in the ceremony. We encourage students to attend this event as it is a meaningful celebration of a major life accomplishment.

What are the requirements for attendance?

Martinez Adult Education strives to provide an accommodating and flexible schedule for our adult high school students. All students are required to attend a minimum of three sessions per week. If you do not meet the minimum attendance requirement, you will be dropped for a period of one month. We also require that anyone attending a class be there for the entire class session. You may attend as many class sessions in a day as you wish.

What do I need to bring to class?

Bring only paper and pencil. This is an in-class program, so you will be checking out and turning in all materials during the class session. 

How fast can I earn credits?

There is no single answer to this question. Credits are awarded based on completed work. Course work is based on state and district curriculum standards. You must complete all work with a minimum score of 70%.

Can I take my work home?

No. All work is to be completed in class. Students who are unable to attend class frequently enough may want to consider enrolling in our Independent Study program. You should be aware, however, that this is a demanding program that requires regular attendance, a cash book deposit, and 15 hours of completed work each week. Enrolling in Independent Study is a major commitment of time and work.

What kind of help can I expect from my instructors?

Although this is a self-paced program designed around individual needs, instructors are happy to assist you with your work. Please be sure to ask if you are having trouble or need answers to your questions.

What happens if I enroll but do not attend or earn credits for an extended period of time?

If you do not attend or earn credits, we will return your transcripts. You may return and re-enroll at any time as long as you left in good standing. 

Will staff members have access to my folder and school-related supplies?

Yes. Staff members may periodically check your folder for progress. Any binders or notebooks you bring to class and have out on your desk may also be looked over by teachers to see if you are completing all work as assigned. Personal items and backpacks will only be checked in case of due cause, in compliance with California Education Code.

What if I had an I.E.P. in high school?

Special Education students are encouraged to remain in their comprehensive high school programs so that they may retain access to all the services available to them. Federal law states that high school students are entitled to special education services until age 22. Students who choose to come to MAE in order to earn a high school diploma should have an exit IEP meeting before signing out of high school. This meeting should make provisions for a 504 plan that will allow students to continue receiving necessary accommodations.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?

Please feel free to ask staff members or visit the department coordinator at any time if you have any problems or unmet needs. We are as committed to your success as you are.